"There is no more sombre enemy of good art than the pram in the hallway" (Cyril Connolly 1938)

“What would I do if real children came padding at the door, smiling their sticky smiles, smearing my printout with sticky hands and pressing ‘delete’.” (Hilary Mantel, Giving up the ghost: a memoir; 2005)

I walked into the kitchen, doubtless carrying washing or empty cups or orange peel found stuffed between the cushions of the sofa. “Mum, I’m sorry. I think I’ve broken your computer.”

A sticky fingered child. A black screen. The start of a novel which was almost working and as yet not saved to the cloud. Childless genius Hilary Mantel guards her keyboard from ghosts – mine is at the mercy of real small people searching for bastard “Let it Go” on youtube. Does having children have an impact on a writer’s ability to write? Logistically, it would clearly be easier to write without the little scraps demanding nurture. Obviously. If I could hermit myself, even for a few days, I imagine my productivity would soar. (It’s taken me two hours to write the last few paras. “Muuum”; “Waaaahhh”; “she hit meeeee”; “bedtime” etc)

Creatively, I’m not sure it makes much difference. The question is, anyway, philosophical rather than practical – I’m not about to siphon them off to a Home and see if my writing improves – and as with all such questions, it is framed for debate rather than resolution.

Instead, I have been thinking about the opposite question: Does writing make me a better parent?

Here are 5 ways that I think, perhaps, writing helps me be a sane parent, if not a better one.

1. The Boredom factor. Looking after children under the age of 5 is unbelievably, relentlessly tedious. Your life is reduced to hovering over a small person who is seemingly intent on a) killing themselves and b) behaving as erratically and illogically as possible at the exact pitch designed to drive a sentient adult to head-banging distraction. Writing lets me retreat to a place inside where interesting, grown-up things happen. On the surface I’m all “wheels on the bus” and “please don’t put jam on your sister’s feet”. Inside I’m wondering why Cromwell dissolved the Rump Parliament, and how to translate historical action into historical fiction.

2. The Helicopter Parenting Backlash. The latest parenting wisdom seems to be anti-helicopter parenting – the sort of irritating style that involves lots of playing and interacting with them. My style, if it had a name, would be Fobbing-Off Parenting. Jog on, small child with puzzle/play-doh/colouring. Do it yourself, Mum’s trying to write/read. I’m properly on-trend parenting-wise, me…..

3. Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff. Unless you write tortured kitchen-sink novels set in Surbiton, or chick-lit, the chances are your imaginary realm will be full of Bad Shit. Wars, plagues, death, serial killers, lost love, orphans, murders, starvation. To emerge from this into a nice house, clutching a nice cup of tea, with your kids entirely safe and whole and unlikely to catch the plague, is always a delight. So the milk’s spilled or the homework’s messy or the baby’s vomited an entire egg on my head. Boff. Shrug.

4. Perspective I spend much time trying to inhabit other perspectives. My next novel is about a 12th century Scottish warlord, not entirely similar in occupation or outlook to a South London Mum with 3 children and a laptop. There are few perspectives more different from a sane adult’s than that of a small child craving chocolate at breakfast. “Please Mum. But I love chocolate. And it’s nearly lunchtime.” It helps me to understand her pain. To empathise with her frustration (The answer’s still bloody NO!).

5. Gruffalo Tolerance. I have read The Gruffalo an unbelievable number of times. I could recite The Gruffalo at gunpoint, should a crazed Donaldson junkie demand it of me. I should loathe The Gruffalo – and that smug mouse. But the writer in me can read The Gruffalo forever and still not tire of the question: is this the most perfect book ever written? Perfect in plot, in character, in pace, in style, in tone, in the completeness of its imaginary landscape. And the Nut was Good, people. The nut was good.

CONCLUSION: It probably makes bugger all difference. But at least I get to pick them up from school so they can harangue me about what snacks I have or haven't brought them.....

Comments

Logistically, it would clearly be easier to write without the little scraps demanding nurture)

I used to hate kids. It's funny because during my first week when I got a job as a music teacher, I immediately shook this off naturally. They are really sweet. Most of them are. They will look at you the same way they look at their mother or guardian if you treat them nicely. You will love kids more once you have you're own.

Cornelia
06/23/2015 2:07pm

We're going on a bear hunt.

07/19/2015 6:48pm

I couldn't agree more. Writing and perhaps, pursuing one's passions makes one a better a parent. For one, it prevents pent-up frustrations, which usually happens to most parents. Some parents tend to be overly selfless that they really just forget about themselves and their capabilities outside parenthood. When the day comes that they can let go of their young ones already, dreams from yesterday seem like books already too old and too dusty to pick up and read. Sad reality, so yes, go ahead. Write and write some more!

10/16/2015 1:18pm

Yes of course. When you try to write something you need to dig through lots of info that makes you smarter.

I am story writer and I think that Writing is extremely enjoyable. It is a great thought to be. Nobody should truly feel bad regarding writing, for the reason that it is not a routine task.

03/05/2016 3:26am

Many thanks for sharing useful details, I actually like your all submit. I'll bookmark your site for long run updates.

Yes, I agree it.

03/28/2016 7:52pm

From how you phrase your notes, to the way you approach a chord progression, studying the music other instruments play will have a long and lasting effect on you as a guitarist and musician.

05/03/2016 10:58pm

Writing while parenting at the same time is not a problem as long as parenting comes first. We have to understand and accept that once we put ourselves into parenthood, nothing will come first except to the children. I am not saying that you have to give all your time and effort to your children, taking care of them, what I mean is writing, even if it is you first love must not be the priority NOW. However, when the children are growing up, you may find enough time to continue to pursue your dreams. I don't want you to stop writing instead put parenting as your main priority and make writing as your mistress- you love it but it should be just an option.

Hmm, I think writing can really make you a better parent ;)

05/24/2016 5:23am

Many thanks for posting this information. I merely wish to allow you know that I just look into your site and I discover it very intriguing and useful.

07/04/2016 10:29am

Do you think it's connected? That's interesting.

Thanks for the nice information. I am sure, I will tweet this to my twitter account. This will help a lot of users.

07/24/2016 10:45am

It makes you a better man at all!

You'll love our vast selection of books on nonfiction writing including how to write a nonfiction book and more.

08/07/2016 9:55pm

You can buy dissertation writing services UK from our team of expert writers who aim to provide you top quality dissertations in cheap and affordable price.

08/13/2016 4:34am

information is enough to make me interested to listen to what is contained in the article here, thank you for his information.

08/13/2016 4:43am

it is very nice that I read this, I hope in the future there are even more of her information. regards.

08/13/2016 7:19am

Interesting article, quite satisfactory.

Plagiarism, in the simplest of terms, is stealing of ideas and thoughts and presenting it as one's own work. It is violation of a person's thoughts and amounts to a crime. However, there are cases when you might accidentally copy someone else's work without giving them the due credit.

10/08/2016 3:13am

From leadership models to team questionnaires, from NLP to Emotional Intelligence, many of the tools that trainers use have been borrowed, found and even 'tweaked' for inclusion in training programs.

10/14/2016 11:42pm

information you have provided here is adequate to make me fascinated to listen to what is contained in the article here, thank you for his posting this article..

11/10/2016 2:16am

Why use duplicate content when it hurts your site ranking? Plagiarism is NOT good. Duplicate content is NOT good. Piracy is NOT good.

12/15/2016 9:58pm

India is one of the most attractive, but is a country where education of people has been given too much importance

12/16/2016 3:03am

We all know that the internet grows in size minute by minute as thousands of pages of content appear every second. Where is it all coming from? No doubt there's a multitude of sources but one practice that's commonplace just now in the search for website content is article rewriting.

12/17/2016 12:25am

12/18/2016 11:46pm

12/25/2016 5:55am

Private advances issued by banks for understudies require an amazing FICO assessment. Those with awful FICO assessments can't have any significant bearing for a private advance all alone.

01/26/2017 9:21pm

I appreciate this blog to share knowledge about this important topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new tips with new enthusiasm.

03/06/2017 10:14pm

03/11/2017 11:22pm

Restatement: every based on the Type D.

03/12/2017 4:32pm

You will find additional natural herbs and also dietary supplements you are able to get however the over best foundation.

03/13/2017 3:05pm

In ways these types of areas resemble your penis increasing supplements, other than there is almost no time hold off with regard to outcomes.

03/13/2017 7:59pm

This particular is a result of individuals residing lengthier life than in the past because of efficient medical care.

03/14/2017 12:40pm

He or she starts the actual part having an episode associated with compliment.

03/14/2017 7:47pm

with regard to worry she'd understand a few unusual material have been smeared throughout my own body structure just a couple brief hrs (or actually times.

04/22/2017 4:20am

It offers complete knowledge of the subject. the entirety written on this weblog is close to great level. i am certain nobody can enhance any problem approximately all of the data introduced here.